Suing the Police in Victoria

Suing the Police in Victoria

We are a Sydney firm who can take on civil cases in all states and territories around Australia. This page contains information for people based in Victoria. If you need representation in another location, please visit our main page here.

If you are a victim of police brutality in Victoria, you can sue the Victoria Police Force for:

  • false arrest,
  • unlawful imprisonment
  • and malicious prosecution.

O’Brien Criminal & Civil Solicitors can represent you in a civil claim against:

  • The Victoria Police Force, including Police officer and auxiliary staff such as PSOs (Protective Services Officers)
  • The Office of Public Prosecutions in Victoria;
  • Corrections Victoria.

We can also assist you in making a claim against:

  • Bouncers or security guards; or
  • Officers of Public Transport Victoria


When can you sue the police?

Common occasions where a person may have an action against the police include:

  • Occasions where a Magistrate has made a determination that the arrest and detention of a person was unlawful. This may include situations where the police did not have the power to arrest you. Also, situations where the police used excessive force to make an arrest.
  • Occasions where a police have arrested and detained you in relation to bail or AVO conditions which have previously been varied, dispensed with or where such conditions no longer exist.

Our expertise in Unlawful Arrest and False Imprisonment

O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors are seen as experts in this area of law. Our civil solicitor assisted many clients in making successful claims against the Police and other authorities. Read about our successful case studies here.

Contact Us about Suing the Police

Have you experienced mistreatment by the police or other person in a position of authority? Contact us to determine whether you might have a civil claim against the police. Call us on (02) 9261 4281 for a free initial consultation.


O’Brien Criminal & Civil Solicitors
p: 02 9261 4281
a: Level 4, 219-223 Castlereagh St,
Sydney NSW 2000

Scroll to Top