Legal careers with O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors
O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors defend people against criminal charges anywhere in Australia, as well as litigating defamation cases, and suing police and other authorities for unlawful conduct. We are a strong advocate for social justice issues and pride ourselves on our pro-bono practice.
We are a growing and dynamic law firm that occasionally has vacancies for people seeking legal careers or administrative opportunities.
See our current vacancies below.
Junior Civil Solicitor
About the job
About our firm: O’Brien Criminal & Civil Solicitors is a Sydney-based law firm with a strong focus on individual freedoms and liberties. The firm practices in criminal, civil and defamation law. Our civil practice is primarily focused on intentional tort litigation including assault and battery, false imprisonment, historical abuse matters and fair trading licensing issues.
As a firm, we are dedicated to providing quality legal advice and representation enforcing our clients’ rights and dignity as well a focus on the promotion on of social change.
About the role As Civil Solicitor with O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors you will be working in a small but tight knit team. You will assist Senior Solicitors on matters, as well as have carriage of a number of your own matters.
You will be responsible for:
· Client management
· Drafting court documents
· Drafting correspondence
· Attending Court
· Liaising with Counsel
· File management
· Ensuring deadlines are met
· Working closely with senior solicitors, associate solicitors and paralegals
· Maintaining an accurate and up to date record of costs and fees.
About you It is crucial that you have a passion for civil law and its application in day to day life. Please consider the following criteria carefully, and demonstrate how you address all of these qualities in your cover letter:
· 1-2 or more years of practice in civil law (desired, but not essential);
· Experience working with groups who experience disadvantage;
· The ability and inclination to take initiative;
· Be resilient (as you will be dealing with sensitive and confronting material);
· Have superior written and verbal communication skills;
· Be able to work independently and in a team;
· Have an eye for details and strategic thinking;
· Willingness to learn;
· Ability to dissect complex legal issues and apply them to real life scenarios; and
· Be respectful, non-judgmental and exhibit a trauma informed approach to client management.
How to apply We are looking to fill this position immediately, so please apply by sending your resume and a cover letter to info @obriensolicitors.com.au as soon as possible. If you have any queries about the position, please contact Sarah Walsh on (02) 9261 4281. We look forward to hearing from you.
Legal Administrative Assistant – Full time (2 year contract)
O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors is a fast-paced law firm based in Sydney CBD. Our office is looking for an legal administrative assistant who has experience with general court procedures and is available on a full-time basis.
This is a perfect opportunity for someone who is looking to take their administrative skills to the next level, while gaining exposure to the fields of criminal and civil law.
The successful candidate must have the following:
- Excellent client contact manner, accomplished computer skills, commitment to reliability and competency, awareness of confidentiality & team member focus
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Professional presentation
- The ability to plan, multitask and work to tight deadlines
- Fast learner
- Engage in collective work practices whilst being able to work independently and intuitively.
- You will also need to be flexible and have a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
Being a hybrid role, you will have responsibilities and involvement in all aspects of our Business Services. Some of the key duties will include:
- Answering and directing calls
- Distribution and sorting of incoming mail and taking any deliveries
- General photocopying duties, including binding and printing
- File management and maintenance of an online database and key registers
- Maintain a functional, neat and orderly office environment
- Undertake other ad-hoc duties and tasks as required
- Maintain all office budgets including stationary, couriers, catering and petty cash reconciliation
- Manage facilities including any relocations, car park access, coordinate repairs and maintenance
for property and equipment, arranging fire drills and security
- Attend to invoicing and debtors
- Liaise with property management
- Compiling monthly practice statistics
- Organise practice meetings and keeping the practice manual updated with new and evolving
- Attend to compliance matters
There will be the opportunities to assist with active legal matters for the right person.
Requirements: To be considered for this position, please ensure that you provide a cover letter together with your resume.
Contract length: 24 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Monday to Friday
Application procedure: To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to
. In your cover letter, please outline your administrative experience and include your earliest possible start.