During that time Stewart has:
- Appeared as a barrister in ten jury trials, winning nine;
- Represented a client who received the highest defamation award in Northern Territory Court history;
- Represented several defamation clients who have received speedy and significant compensation settlements;
- Represented thousands of clients on sentences, local court hearings, bail applications in the Local and Supreme Court and appeals;
- Worked in the pressure cooker environment of the Aboriginal Legal Services for thirteen years;
- Ran the Northern Territory Legal Aid office in Katherine, Northern Territory;
- Won the National Children’s and Youth Law Centre’s National Award for Aboriginal Youth Lawyer of the Year in 2000;
- Was the Senior Project Officer on the Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse in Aboriginal Communities in the Northern Territory;
- Represented several youth clients in the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory;
- Taught Criminal Law for the Australian National University for several years.
Stewart’s strength as an advocate begins with his empathy for his clients and his natural ability to talk “straight” and make sure clients understand the strengths of their case as well as its weaknesses and risks.
Stewart is always looking for a result that is the best and most efficient result for the client. To that end he is an excellent negotiator and has negotiated several compensation settlements in defamation and several charge and/or facts reductions in criminal matters.
If the matter does end up being fought out in court then Stewart always fights hard for his clients and ensures that the best possible defence is put forward.
Contact Stewart O’Connell
Ph: (02) 9261 4281
Fax: (02) 9261 4282